Monday, July 9, 2012

Rhyme and Reason

IMG_6695

Our daughter surprisingly burst out saying this as she splashed on the seashore this spring,

When the waves come near I steer!”

But when they come closer I do not fear!”

Have you ever been to the beach and feel the sun warming your entire self…inside and out? 

There’s sand in-between your toes and stuck all over your legs, hands and arms.  There’s even grains of sand in the crevice of the book you’re reading.  And after a few hours, your hand kind of sticks to your leg because you’ve gotten uncomfortable hot and a little sticky.  That means it’s time to get in the water to cool off and ride a few waves!

I remember when I was young how our family went to the beach every summer for a week.  I’d get on a blow-up rectangular raft that was as long as I was long.  I’d just lie on the raft and slowly rock when a small wave rippled underneath. 

But it was usually in the late afternoon the waves would get higher and stronger as the tide rose.   The under tow would tug a little stronger.   I remember times when I’d be lying on that raft and see a wave coming and I think it’s just about to crest but it just keeps building higher and higher…growing bigger and bigger. 

I’m thinking…I’m praying…"Please don’t let this take me under!”

But then, right when the wave begins crashing at my feet, my fear is gone because I know….I know…  it’s going to be the best ride!

I ride all the way to the shore laughing, squealing and grinning ear to ear….a wild rush of joy!

There’s the anticipation of the unknown…bringing fear…and excitement.  It can become a joy rush that keeps growing.

#669  daughter’s wave rhyme

#670  rhythm of daily communion with Jesus

#671  it’s a gift for God to have a reason for everything

#671  our salvation is a reason to rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment