Thursday, July 5, 2012

What makes you persevere?

What are you persistent with? What gives you the motivation to stay persistent…not give up…stay on course?

I’ve been hunting for gifts of persistence.

# 645  The first gift I thought of was this JoyDare!   (and I have a friend who always encourages me to keep it up whenever I see her!…thank friend!)  This experience has been one I do not regret…or ever will.  I want to be persistent about it.  It brings hope…

IMG_7792

 

I was at one of my most-visited restaurants not too long ago.  One of the reasons I go there is because of the personal service they give their customers.  I guess if you’ve been there enough times they begin to know who you are and what you like!

That being said, I had been in contact with one of the employees who worked specifically in public relations because I requested the restaurant’s “mascot” to come to my daughter’s school for an end of year celebration as an extra bonus.  So, I knew her as an acquaintance.

A few days after the event, I went to the restaurant to get a drink and “ran into” the gal I had been communicating with earlier.  I had brought my computer there and was writing a post for my blog. 

She asked me what I was doing.

God placing an opportunity in my lap.

I told her I was writing a post for my blog.

Then she asked me about it.

So, I told her I had set a goal to find 1,000 gifts God has given me this year.  I went on to explain that I had decided to create a blog to hold myself accountable for keeping up with this challenge. 

She raised her eyebrows and said, “Wow!  I don’t know if I could ever do that.  Although I do remember the one and only time I posted pictures and a story about a softball game I played in.  It was an exciting game.  I included pictures of all the bruises, cuts and scrapes I got from that good game!  I play softball as often as I can.  I really enjoy it.”

She sounded like she was persistent with her love of softball…she wasn’t fearful or ashamed of showing the hard work she put into it…even if it included bruises, cuts and scrapes!  I was impressed with her determination and persistence.

I asked myself, “What am I persistent about?”

Perseverance produces character (Romans 5:3)

The one thing I have been persistent of this year has been the Joy Dare challenge.  I’ve surprised myself of this determination I’ve had. 

Why is that?

I could easily think of things that I am not persistent with but know I should be.

But the Word is true and at least the one thing I’ve persevered, even if it’s just been for a few months, is keeping up and not giving up with the count of blessings.  And by doing this, I pray it’s helping build my character to be one who finds joy in ALL things… even including the bruises, cuts and scrapes.

I once read something Helen Keller wrote…a thought to persistently remind myself.

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do- Helen Keller

and that thing I can do can only be done through Christ. 

I am one…a child of God; I can do something…by the gifts and grace from God; I will try not to refuse to do something God wants me to and knows I can do.

Yes, try.  I know I am not always perfect (actually never because only God is) and not everything will go my way, the way I want it to be. 

I pray though that I will know what to let go and what to persevere.  I desire… we need to desire…to “run with perseverance the race (God has) marked out for us”

More thankfuls… 

#646  the vision of a leader who doesn’t give up the perseverance of finding other leaders to pour into the lives and hearts of children to increase God’s kingdom!

#647  a most comfortable, perfect pillow to lie  head on when exhausted from a day in the heat.

#648  praying with friend

#649  special day for daughter, mom and gran.

#650  birthday lunch for daughter with grandparents

#651  God’s not giving up on me…

No comments:

Post a Comment