Friday, August 17, 2012

Bananagrams!

img_8407

Have you ever played the game Bananagrams? 

It’s a newer game similar to Scrabble, and with that being said, it’s not my best game.  Maybe because the few times I played it as a child, I didn’t like it as much as Life and Candy Land (they’re games of luck where I didn’t have to really think!).

But there’s only a week left until school and we’re all getting a little stir crazy and my kids (and me) need some brain stimulation.  They’ve been in hibernation when it comes to “educational enrichment”.  I admit, there’s not been summer school here!

But because I was desperate, I thought, we’ll try Bananagrams but I’m sure I’ll get some reluctance.  I did but I insisted, so we got to work.  It was a slow start but I became amazed at the words they came up with and they really got into it.

Now we bent the rules a little bit…because the first word our son found in his pile of letters was “Jesus”.  Well, I instantly threw away the rule of not being able to use proper nouns.  It made me think how Jesus’ desire is to be central in our lives and for all other things to grow from there…He is the vine.  We are the branches.  And then from there on, son didn’t even realize it, but he wrote a prayer…

I started looking at the words he came up with and I could see how most of them could be used to glorify God!  So, I had him and my daughter (and me too) write a prayer to Jesus using as many words as possible that he came up with in that round of Bananagrams!

img_8402

(Ok…I know the idea may be a little cheesy but I think God still gets a smile out of it!)

My son, this post’s guest writer, wrote:

Jesus saved me from sins.

Thank you, God for the redbirds that look so pretty at my birdfeeder.

Please help me never quit and give me strength to get up on my feet.

Help me not forget You any date of the year.

Help me live like you planned and by Your Word.

If I get out of line, you “tug” me the right way.

Thank you for the food that we sometimes forget how fortunate we are.

Thank you for dogs.

Thank you for being the was, and is, and will be.

In God I trust.

We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.

We put our strength in the Lord.

I am awed at Your creation.

Please help me to say yes to live by Your Word.

There isn’t a day where I don’t think of you.

His strength is the greatest!

 

We hope you have a weekend filled with rest, game times, preparation and hope!

 

Still counting

#818  gift in morning…early morning walk

#819  gift in morning…read a quote by Edward Farrell from his book Free to Be Nothing.

“Perhaps our most hidden sin is that we have so little time for one another.  We need so much more than television (and electronic devices) has to offer.  We need to relearn how to relate eye to eye, hand to hand, heart to heart.  We have to encourage one another to keep walking toward Jesus, toward joy, toward truth.”

#820  just what I needed to hear

#821  news neighbor has no more cancer!

#822  long day at pool with friends…probably last one before school starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment