Monday, August 20, 2012

Don’t Postpone Joy

 

Don’t put it off.  Don’t put it on the back burner.  Don’t put it on the back corner of your closet.  Don’t stuff it in your pocket.  Don’t hide it!

Sometimes it can be as easy to postpone joy as it is easy to postpone a dentist appointment, postpone cleaning the bathroom or even postpone a tough conversation you need to have.

“Don’t postpone joy.”

img_8418

Those words hang on our wall and look at me, with intent, as I walk by them many times every day.  Some days they remind me to keep on counting joys.  Some days they bring hope and a smile to my face.  Some days I forget to look at them when I’m too focused on the things on my to-do list.  Some days I purposely ignore them…I choose to worry about “what if’s”, or choose to sulk in self pity, or choose to allow petty things to get on my nerves instead of  choosing joy. 

Why would I choose those over joy? 

I know that nothing is better for them than to rejoice, and to do good in their lives.” (Ecc. 3:12  NKJV)  

In other words, “Don't postpone joy. Enjoy what God has given you today!”   Not to wait until we’re in a better mood, not to wait until tomorrow, not to wait until things turn around… today…now!

img_8412

I need to remind myself daily it’s not worth postponing

When joy is postponed, anger is chosen.  When joy is postponed, frustration grows.  When joy is postponed, worry consumes. 

There’s no need to wait until heaven to experience joy…no need to wait to laugh on glory’s side.  God created us to experience enjoyment…now…today. 

So, why postpone joy?

img_8408a

 

When we give thanks, we gain joy”  (Ann Voskamp)

Weekend joys

#823  the Don’t Postpone Joy sign on our wall

#824  the gift of joy on this side of heaven

#825  unexpected “both-kids-spend-night-with-friend” night

#826  worshipping God to the music of an organ and ukulele…together.

#827  sermon given today spoken with Truth, boldness and love…and also for our son to hear

#828  reminder how “we were knit together in our mother’s womb…fearfully and wonderfully made…the days of our lives were all prepared before we’d even lived one day.” Psalm 139

#829  only through Christ can I

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this reminder...it's a daily choosing of joy that we need! I linked up after you over at Ann's and glad I did. There's so many nuggets of truth to gain here. Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete