Friday, August 3, 2012

How Gabby Douglas won the gold.

Last night I was on the edge of my seat watching the Women’s Gymnastics in  2012 Summer Olympics.  I haven’t been keeping up with them very much this week, but I did watch last night.

I felt like a cheerleader last night.

I was a cheerleader from 8th – 12th grade, and that was quite a while ago, but I still have the heart to cheer for the team.

I know I cannot do a round up anymore…but I think I can do a cartwheel…hey I’m almost 40!  There’s no way I can do a Russian jump anymore but I haven’t lost my ability to clap my hands, wiggle my fingers and cheer at the top of my lungs.

Gabby Douglas, known as the fierce Flying Squirrel, experienced the most exciting and terrifying moment of her life yesterday after having spent countless hours of hard work and training.

Gabby_Douglas_AP904157716524_244x183

(Credit: AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

While watching that last night one of the things that stood out to me the most is something one of the announcer said right before she was about to do her floor routine.  As she stood there waiting for the buzz to instruct her to start (which had to feel like forever), the announcer almost whispered,

A crowded room can be the most lonely place in the world.” 

I definitely agree with that comment.  I’m sure many people, not just athletes, have felt that at some point in their lives.

But Gabby was not lonely.

Jesus was right there with her.  And she knew it.

Millions of eyes were glued to her performances…the ones in the arena and the ones looking at a TV, all holding their breath. Holding their breath means there was silence.  Even when watching it on TV it felt like I could hear a pin drop in the world.

I can’t image how I would feel knowing the world was silent all looking at me with excitement and high expectations.  I think I’d pass out!

But silence can be a holy moment. Silence can give the feeling of His Presence, which gave her confidence.

She did all her routines with confidence.  I believe her confidence was through Christ.  Looking at that picture of her legs stretched out over 180* (which amazes me!),  I see her looking up at God with that big smile of hers, arm and hand raised praising God, and thanking God for this opportunity and gift to compete in the Olympics going for the gold.

When she spoke to the NBC announcer, the first words she said after the gold metal was put around her neck and our National Anthem played, were, "It is everything I thought it'd be. Being the Olympic champion is definitely an amazing feeling. I give all the glory to God. The glory goes up to him and the blessings fall down on me." 

I’m so proud of her…not only for winning the gold, and for being a positive role model to her team and all the young girls admiring her, and for being dedicated to make her dream come true… but even more proud of her boldness to tell the world that God is the reason she was able to do what she did and gave Him all the credit for it.

That is being a champion to me.

 

Still counting thank-fulls…

#769  crunchy apple

#770  Grilled Chicken Sandwich and fries from Blue Ribbon diner

#771  Peanut M & M’s (to eat while scrapbooking!)

#772  a gift white – full moon out tonight

img_8113

#773  a gift white – white paint all over my hands and fingers (couldn’t take a photo because I didn’t want a white painted camera!)

#774  lunch with a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment