Tuesday, April 17, 2012

3 gift woven together

#347  the scarlet cord I was given to be a reminder of Rahab’s redemption

#348   We are woven into God’s family...with the family of believers…woven into Jesus’ lineage.  

Woven…interlacing threads…vessels. 

Beautiful yet twisted.

Just studied the end of the book of Ruth.  Her lineage was part of Jesus’ heritage and lineage…along with Tamar and Rahab.   Women known for being a poor foreigner and  prostitutes, whose lives were woven into Jesus’ lineage.

Woven like a scarlet cord.

img_6868

Scarlet is woven throughout Jesus’ lineage

In Egypt, the slaves, who became God’s chosen people - the Israelites, put a scarlet mark with blood on their doors and posts so God would pass over their homes and save their lives from death under Pharaoh's rule.

Scarlet was an essential color in the fabrics of the curtains around the tent or tabernacle where God was worshipped and sacrifices were offered as Moses and God’s people wandered for 40 years.

The scarlet blood was shed from many animal sacrifices.

And then there was Tamar.  Her son, Perez, who was part of Jesus’ lineage, wore a scarlet thread around his wrist when he was born so Tamar could know which of her boys was born first. (Genesis 38)

And not long after than, Rahab threw a scarlet cord out her window so Joshua’s spies and soldiers redeemed and saved her and her family as they began to take over their Promised Land (Joshua 2).

Matthew records in his gospel that a scarlet robe was put around Jesus as he was mocked by the Romans and they prepared for his crucifixion. (28:27)

And then, the final sacred, scarlet sacrifice of God’s Son was accepted…was offered…was given…was complete.

All of those scarlet cords of identity and sacrifice were woven through history.

And that scarlet cord is still what keeps Jesus’ lineage flowing.  God’s story is not over.  His genealogy continues. 

Because they trusted God, Ruth and Rahab’s lives were significant even though they didn’t see it that way.  But even if they didn’t realize it, like we may not realize it… we need to trust that that scarlet cord woven in our lives will also be extended past our lifetime.

The scarlet cord of blood vessels are woven into the depths of our bodies…and our souls.

As I write this, I remember my redemption story.  The time when I asked Jesus to rescue me…to be my kinsman-redeemer.  It’s when I found out I had to have brain surgery because there were many blood vessels twisted around a main vein in my brain causing me to have seizures.  Twisted…messed up.  Yet God took something twisted in my life and made it beautiful.  The beauty of redemption.

#350  Redemption flowed through my scarlet veins woven throughout my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment