Monday, September 17, 2012

What needs to be done

Stumbled on these words last night.  I had only read it one other time and wrote it in my little notebook that I carry around with me in case I think I have a God Moment while I’m on the go that I need to save.  I don’t even remember why I wrote this in that notebook…but maybe it was for me to open now… just the right time.

Discipleship is not easy.  It will cost you everything.  But ‘everything’ becomes a small piece for your investment in the eternal richness of knowing God.  Not only does God promise phenomenal return on your investment, but also He provides everything you need to make the investment in the first place, and to pay the cost along the way.”          (2 Peter 1:3)  Jan Kemp’s Faithful Hearts

IMG_9274

And then today I begin a brand new study “Living in a Pluralistic Society” by Timothy Keller.  (And what do you know…the lesson is called “Half-way discipleship”.  And then the first part of the study is to read Joshua 1:1-9 (Joshua 1:9 being one of my favorite ‘life verses’) and 23:3-13.

Basically those verses say… “Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people” (1:6).  “Hold fast (cling) to the Lord.” (23:8), and “The Lord your God himself will drive them (the enemy) out of your way.”

And then for God to top it off, two times it’s written in today’s verses… “Do not turn from the right to the leftgo straight…so you’ll be successful wherever you go.” (1:7), and be strong and obey “without turning aside to the right of the left.” (23:6)

And last week all I was reminded of over and over was Isaiah 30:21.  “Whether you turn to the right or to the left (when I’m wandering off trying to find the answers myself) your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, ‘This is the way; walk in it.’”

So whenever I’m wandering off trying to find the answers myself, I’m just turning down the wrong fork in the road whether it be the right of the left.  I am not being strong or obedient if I’m not going straight.

In order to be a disciple, one must be truly brave and full of faith.  A disciple must be strong and courageous, cling fast to the Lord and trust that God himself will drive the enemies of fear, worry, and twisted lies out of the way.  A disciple is simply an instrument for God to use.  A disciple must stay focused on the straight-ahead path and not stray to the right or to the left. 

Who doesn’t want to hear the clear and confirming whisper from the Spirit saying to walk this way and cling to Me.  All you need to do is simply be an instrument for Me to do what I need to do

Be a disciple.

Be a disciple to my kids…24/7. 

Be a disciple to my neighbors.  Be a disciple to whoever God puts in my life for that purpose according to His will and perfect timing.

Can I really do that?  Can you? 

You can do everything through Christ who gives you the strength.  (Philippians 4:13) and His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.” (2 Peter 1:3)

Oh the joys from the Lord

#904  Isaiah 30:21

#905  Stumbling on words

#906  gift started – a bible study with women desperately dependent on Jesus.  It’s so good to start fresh in a new study!

#907  gift scrawled – the little spiral notebook I carry in my purse to jot down God Moments on the go

#908  gift scented – inside the donut shop

IMG_9269

 

IMG_9271

IMG_9272

#909  gift drawn - drawing fall with chalk

#910  watching the very first Little House on the Prairie with family

Matt Maher

#911  worshipping with others with the music led by Matt Maher at our church

#912  family getting to meet Matt Maher

#913  real conversations with husband

3 comments:

  1. Lovely to visit from Ann's . Love the idea of the notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...and trust that God himself will drive the enemies of fear, worry, and twisted lies out of the way."

    great words and i really liked the photo of your girl and her chalk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We enjoy sidewalk chalk here, too. Enjoyed your list. :)

    ReplyDelete