Monday, September 24, 2012

When you feel like you’ve been run over by a car

IMG_9291

The list Friday was making me dizzy but I didn’t realize how much…

The book fair is in a week and there’s so much to do….Go to school to print 650+ flyers.   Get gift for sweet girl’s first birthday.  Get belated card for friend’s 40th birthday.  Go get the bible study that was ready to pick up (and maybe even start it!).  Go to the grocery because having teacher over for dinner this weekend.  Clean the house.  Put away summer decorations and put out fall decorations.    Dinner ready early because son has a game that night.

I wanted to get all of those things done… in 4 hours.

Yeah right!  But it was the over-achiever part of me that rushed in front of realistic reality.

So, I was in a hurry.  Or maybe “I was in a rush” is a better way of saying it.

Rush…to dash.  Dash from here to there and everywhere.

Can rushing become an addiction?   If it can, then I might have become one this past month. 

Do I really get a rush from rushing?

Addictions are must-haves and must-dos and must get-those-musts–as-soon-as-possible.

Addictions are rushed to.

As all the things on my super-woman to-do list rush through my mind, I realized I forgot something as I leave the garage.  I go back in and rush out of the car to get what I had forgotten.

My car wasn’t all the way in “park”.

It starts rolling backward and I try to jump back in to stop it.  But I can’t. 

I don’t honestly remember what happened next except I felt a tire roll over me.

It ran over me…over my hand and leg.  Just as fast as I was down, I was back up chasing it down the driveway.  I was obviously in a state of shock.

God’s angels were with me and with our neighbors.  That I believe.

The car rolled down the driveway, the angels took ahold of the steering wheel, turned the wheels at the perfect time at the end of the driveway and had it roll into our next door neighbor’s yard and came to a stop at the start of the hill back up.

I do believe in miracles…again.

I really understand now that speed bumps were made to slow you down.  To make you pay more attention.  There’s really a reason for them.

And I just happened to be the speed bump in the blink of a eye.                                        (as a friend told me…which did somehow make me laugh over the tears)

I must be so stubborn…God has allowed some other things in my life, similar to the feeling of being run over by a car, to get my attention or for me to slow down…to stop rushing…to stop addictions?

Just.Slow.Down.

Pay.Attention.

When not, things get careless and that’s risky business.

God, I’m trying to pay attention…and want to rush only to You, and only feel the rush of Your relentless protection and grace…

 

More true thankfulness

#920  hard eucharisteo (thanks-giving) – speed bumps

#921  friend/neighbor right there at right time

#922  God’s angels

#923  friend who always takes good care of our family’s medical emergencies (and we know he has many times…much gratitude, friend)

#924  another friend who got me my favorite…a coke from the restaurant…to make me smile.

#925  friends who make me laugh when I could really cry

#926  my husband who still loves me

#927  gift informed – no broken bones

#928  gift…life

#929  gift in quietness - hearing the buzz from hummingbird wings

#930  gift of quietness – time to write to relieve

#931  “Normal isn’t working anymore” – words heard this morning at church that still ring in my ears.

#932  family dinner with my aunt and uncle who we don’t get to see often, and my parents

#933  my cousin’s new baby daughter doing so well after heart surgery at 1 week old.

#934  seeing fall flowers beauty by the run down shack we get to enjoy seeing on way to school each day

IMG_9290

IMG_9294

IMG_9292

3 comments:

  1. Your post reflects my own thoughts this week. Lovely pictures. And so grateful that baby is doing well after surgery. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful list and photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God seems to speak to multiple bloggers a lot! This has happened the past several weeks to me. I have been having a VERY busy week, but He is continually reminding me to SLOW DOWN and savor the moments of my life. My blog reflects this same theme. Thanks for sharing.
    In His Lo♥e, Ann @ Christ in the Clouds(http://christintheclouds.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete